Sunday, August 7, 2011

Triple Cream Cup[cheese]cakes.

Cream cheese makes everything taste better.
Are we in agreement on this point? I mean really, have you ever met a block of cream cheese you didn't like?

I was craving cheesecake today, and I got all geared up to make some.
Then I was craving cake.
And then I just decided to make cream cheese cupcakes.
Simple and yummy, right? I thought so.

So I pulled out my good old Jules Nearly Normal flour to make these little lovies. And as I creamed the dairy and the sugars, I smiled when I saw how yummy it looked.

Then I discovered something terrifying as I attempted to combine the dry into the creamed mixture.

Jules Nearly Normal flour is not always the flour of choice. Particularly in cakes.

My delicious batter turned into a gelatinous mass - in a matter of 5 seconds. Too many starches, too many thickeners exist in the flour.
Now, please don't ask me WHY this flour works so beautifully in some things and so dreadful in others. I really don't know.

But I decided as I scraped the gooey mess into the trash that I would try a new cake recipe with ONLY white rice flour - one of my favorite flours to use.

It was shortly after this decision that I realized I had used the last of the baking powder and butter in my fridge on the Epic Fail cake.

Eeeeeeeeexcellent. Really. This is probably the highlight of my day.


Now I was getting antsy. I wanted cake, dangit! So I started throwing things in a bowl. A little of this, a little of that.

What I had an hour later was a vanilla cupcake. With a layer of cheesecake. And a layer of cream cheese frosting.

Ohhhh...YUM.

And now, I share my dessert with you.

Triple Cream Cup[cheese]cakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes

Sour Cream Cake:
1 1/2 c. White Rice flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla 
1/2 c. Greek yogurt (plain)
1/3 c. sour cream

Cheesecake Layer:
8 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
1 egg
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins or place muffin cups in tins. 
Whisk together flour and soda in a small bowl. Set aside. Cream eggs, vanilla, yogurt and sour cream in a large bowl. Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with sour cream cake batter. 
Fill muffin cups to the top with cheesecake mixture.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted in cupcake comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz Neufchatel cheese, softened
3 tbsp. butter, softened 
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla
3-4 c. powdered sugar

Beat cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy. Fill gallon Ziploc bag 2/3 full with frosting, and snip off a generous corner of the bag. Pipe frosting onto cool cup[cheese]cakes.

Look at these little beauties. 



Enjoy. 

xoxo

The Celiac Sisters

0 comments:

Post a Comment